Essay on paul s assignment1 the solar system

Submitted By SSomalisoldier-Sakar
Words: 2778
Pages: 12

P2: List the main characteristic components of the present day model of the solar system.

The solar system is made up of the Sun and the planets, where all these planets revolve around the sun by its gravity. Also, it’s consists of moons, minor planets, asteroids, gas, comets and dust. These planets are:

Mercury:
Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun, and the smallest planet of the solar system. It’s a bit bigger than the earth’s moon. It can be seen by the naked eyes. As Mercury is the closest planet to the sun it has a high temperature can reach to 450 C in day time but, in the night time the temperature decrease hundreds of degrees under zero. Mercury orbit around the sun takes 88 earth days, which is equal to 58.6 earth days. The surface is pockmarked with caters which is the cause that it has no atmosphere on it, just like the moon. In fact, mercury has named for the messenger of the Roman gods.
Venus:
Venus is the second closest planet to the sun. Venus sometimes is concerning as the earth’s sister as it is size and structure are very similar to the earth. Venus’ thick, toxic atmosphere traps heat in a runaway “greenhouse effect”. In fact, it’s revolves slowly around the sun in the opposite direction of most planets, it’s also can be seen by the naked eyes. Venus orbit around the sun takes 225 earth days, which is equal to one day in Venus. In fact, the name Venus is returning for the Roman goddess of love and beauty. Earth:
The earth is the third planet from the sun. We can say the earth is the water world planet as oceans are covering almost two-third of its space. The earth is the only living planet as the atmosphere is rich by nitrogen and oxygen. The earth revolves around its axis at 1.532 feet per a second which is a bit more than 1.000 miters per an hour at the equator. Earth orbit around the sun takes 365.24 days. The day is 23 hours and 56 minutes which is equal to the earth rotating time about its axis.
Mars:
Mars is the fourth planet from the sun. It’s a very cold and dusty planet. Mars has reddish color as it contains a huge amount of iron oxide. Mars and the earth are similar in that both of them are rocky, contain mountains and they have valleys and storm systems. Mars orbit around the sun takes 687 earth days and the day is 24 hours and 37 minutes. Mars has a diameter of 4.217 miles which is equal to 6.787 kilometers. In fact, the name mars is returning for the Roman god of war.
Jupiter:
Jupiter is the fifth planet from the sun and the biggest planet in our solar system. Most of Jupiter is gases as the atmosphere is 90% hydrogen and the remaining 10% is almost completely made up of helium, even though there are small traces of other gases inside. Jupiter has a strong magnetic field with dozens of moons which looks like a small solar system. Jupiter orbit around the sun takes 11.9 earth years and the day takes 9.8 earth hours. The diameter of Jupiter is 88.730 miles which is equal to 428.400 kilometers. In fact, the name Jupiter is returning for the ruler of the Roman god.
Saturn:
Saturn is the sixth planet from the sun and it is the second largest planet after Jupiter. It is a gases planet as the atmosphere is made up of hydrogen and helium which is similar to Jupiter. It can be seen with the naked eyes, it is best known for its fabulous ring system. Saturn was discovered in 1610 by the astronomer Galileo Galilei, where he thought it was a three part thing. 40 years later, Saturn was discovered again by Christian Huygens, where he proposed they were rings. The rings are made up of ice and rock. Saturn orbit around the sun takes 29.5 earth years and a day takes about 10.5 earth hours. Its diameter is 74.900 miles which is equal to 120.500 kilometers. As its low density and fast rotation, Saturn polar diameter is 90% of its equatorial diameter. In fact, the name Saturn is returning for the Roman god of agriculture.

Uranus:
Uranus is the seventh planet from the sun. It is not visible to…