1. A recent fitness walk left you breathless, and you’ve been having trouble sleeping. You’ve also been dealing with an upset stomach and occasional dizziness. These could be symptoms of:
A. Depression. B. Heart disease. C. Diabetes. D. High blood pressure. E. All of the above.
2. What’s the leading cause of death for women?
A. Cancer. B. Heart disease. C. Stroke. D. Accidental injuries. E. Diabetes.
3. When should you have your first cholesterol screening?
A. At age 10. B. At age 20. C. At age 35. D. At age 40. E. It depends on your risk factors.
4. You’ve had yeast infections before, but in the past year they haven’t really gone away. This could be a sign of:
A. Diabetes. B. Emphysema. C. Stomach ulcers. D. Depression. E. Food allergies.
5. What lifestyle changes may reduce a woman’s risk of breast cancer?
A. Staying trim as an adult. B. Drinking a glass of red wine each day. C. Getting moderate to vigorous physical exercise regularly. D. A and C. E. There is little you can do to lower your chances of developing breast cancer.
6. What is the main reason women have trouble becoming pregnant after age 30?
A. Their ovaries release fewer eggs. B. Their eggs have begun to degenerate. C. They have sex less frequently. D. The uterine lining thins. E. It is a high-stress period in their lives.
7. How often should you have a Pap smear?
A. Once a year after puberty. B. Once a year after either turning 21 or having sexual intercourse for the first time. C. Once a year after age 21 and every two years after 30. D. Once a year if you’re not in a monogamous relationship. E. Once a year unless you’ve been vaccinated against the human papillomavirus (HPV). Then the screening is not necessary.
8. What is the number one cancer killer of women?
A. Colon cancer. B. Breast cancer. C. Lung cancer. D. Cervical cancer. E. Esophageal cancer.
9. When should most women have their first mammogram?
A. At age 30. B. At age 35. C. At age 40. D. At age 45. E. At age 50.
10. When should you have your first colonoscopy to screen for colon cancer?
A. At age 35. B. At age 40. C. At age 45. D. At age 50. E. At age 55.
11. Which of the following may cause your hair to fall out by the fistful?
A. A medical condition like lupus, a thyroid disorder, or a recent high fever or case of the flu. B. A fungal infection on the scalp. C. Tight hairstyles (braids, extensions, cornrows, ponytails). D. Hormonal shifts caused by pregnancy, changes in birth-control–pill use, or menopause. E. All of the above and more.
12. What percentage of your diet should fat make up?
A. About 10 percent of your daily calories. B. About 20 percent of your daily calories. C. About 30 percent of your daily calories. D. About 40 percent of your daily calories. E. There is no recommended amount of fat; you should strive to eat as little of it as possible.
13. How much exercise do you really need?
A. 45 minutes twice a week. B. 30