Personal Narrative

Words: 880
Pages: 4

I am a 16-year-old girl named Destiny I live in a suburban area. My parents and brother were now on a holiday. I convinced them to let me stay home alone without any supervision. Now I am regretting it.

It all started the day before my parents and brother left. I kept hearing footsteps above me even though we live in a one-story home. My mum kept trying to convince me that it was just the house settling noises I'm not really a paranoid person but for some reason, I had this unsettling feeling that there was actually something up there. I tried for hours to convince my mum to go up there and check for anything like an animal.
My mother was annoyed with me so I left the house for a couple of hours just to go to the shops with my friends, after
…show more content…
I have to say it was pretty weird being in the house totally alone, especially because of how quiet our neighbourhood is at night. As I was falling asleep, I heard something that made me sit up in my bed. At that moment as I looked toward the light through the bottom of my door, I saw a shadow pass by. I shot up out of my bed to ensure that I had locked my door. Thankfully I did. I tiptoed back to my bed and sat there waiting for some sort of sound. That was when I heard our fridge door open and gently close. I knew it was the fridge I've heard this noise plenty of times before. At this point, I felt scared. So of course, I called the police. After forty minutes of waiting, they finally arrived. They searched the house and found nothing. They said there were no signs of forced entry and that I was probably just scared because it was my first time staying home alone. After the police left I knew something didn't feel right. I could not sleep that …show more content…
I fell asleep without any problems. I woke up a few hours later with the feeling that I was being watched. I jumped out of my sleep and turned on my table lamp. Everything looked just as it did when I went to bed. I fell back to sleep but this time with the lamp on.

Day 4: The next morning I woke up and got ready for school. As I went to leave my room I noticed the door was unlocked. Even though I was exhausted I know for a fact that I triple checked the lock on my bedroom door before I went to bed... I think someone was watching me sleep.

When I got home from school that day, there were several police cars on my street. Which was rare. I asked one of my neighbours who was standing outside if she knew what was going on. She said that someone discovered two bodies in the woods behind our neighbourhood. I felt numb. Over the next few weeks, a series of events would force me to confront the terrifying reality that someone was living in my home with