1.2 There are many barriers to professional development, these could include;
• Lack of funding within the company
• The amount of hours the staff member works could be an issue, working a lot of hours and finding time to study could be an issue.
• Availability of courses within the area, if the member of staff doesn’t drive, relying on public transport may be difficult.
• Family commitments, having children or being a carer to an unwell relative will take up time which you may not be able to spare to go on a course or study. Especially if there are courses on on a Saturday.
• Lack of support from managers and staff, some courses require input and help from both managers and other staff. Without their support the course could be difficult to complete.
• Inadequate appraisal systems. Without appraisals, staff will not be able to reflect on their own practice and be able to improve on their weak points.
• No confidence to achieve or progress. A positive ‘can do’ attitude is needed to progress.
1.3 Sources and systems of support for continuous personal development…