Respond to the following based on the information in the “Suicide Rates by Age Group” article:
1. What has been the trend in suicide rates over the past few years?
From 1999 to 2002 the suicide rate has declined. Paying special attention to antidepressants that were said to be the cause of most suicides.
2. What part of the U.S. has the highest suicide rate?
The highest rates of suicide in the U.S. was in the west at 14.7 per 100,000 people. It was closely followed by the south at 13.1 per 100,000 people.
3. List three risk factors for suicide.
Having guns in the home has contributed to higher number of suicides. Having attempted suicide in the past is a high risk factor for completion. Lastly being diagnosed with a mental illness such as bipolar, major depression, as well as substance abuse are all risk factors.
4. Many researchers worry that suicide rates for adolescents and older adults continue to increase. What does the research data show about these age groups?
Adults that are middle aged are less prone to commit suicide while adolescents and older adults are at a higher risk. The suicide rate has thus decreased for adolescents and older adults over the last few years.
5. In the U.S., what demographic has the highest rate of suicide?
The reports shows that suicide increases with age. The reports also shows that the age group 65 and older has the highest suicide rate.
6. List four possible reasons for the observed decrease in suicide rates.
Substance abuse is at an all-time low, the life expectancy has increased over the years, homicide rates decreased, and the economy is thriving more.
7. Recent media reports have suggested that medications may provoke suicidal behavior, particularly in adolescents. As a precautionary step, the FDA issued a public health advisory warning doctors to watch patients closely for worsening depression when medication is first prescribed. What does the data…