Autism and Mental Retardation
Respond to the following:
1. List the primary features of autism.
Lack of social interaction and communication, stereotyped, and repetitive behavior. Other features would be attention problems, aggressive behavior, and hyperactivity.
2. Which explanation for autism is no longer considered valid and lacks research support?
The fact that autism is caused by lack of attention from the mother has been proven wrong.
3. What forms of treatment are helpful for a person with autism?
Many treatments can benefit a person with autism. Medication, animal therapy, music, occupational therapy, speech therapy, or facilitated communication.
4. List the criteria for a diagnosis of mental retardation:
IQ lower that 70, limitations of adaptive skills, condition being present since childhood.
5. Explain one way in which sociocultural biases in testing might pose problems for assessing mental retardation.
Could lead to labeling or even a false diagnosis.
6. Of the four levels of mental retardation, into which category do most people with mental retardation fall?
Most people fall into the mild retardation category.
7. What are the main types of biological causes of mental retardation?
Some retardation can be genetic, caused by chromosomal abnormalities, or problems before, during, or after birth.
8. What is the only way to prevent fetal alcohol syndrome?
The only way to avoid this is to not drink alcohol while…