1. The supremacy clause- establishes us constitution as supreme law of land.
2. Vertical federalism- relationship among states and governments.
3. Markup- reference to what happens in the committee.
4. Separation of powers- act of legislative and executive powers of government.
5. Conference committee- joint meeting of two committees.
6. Executive privilege- privilege claimed by president of the us.
7. Solicitor general- country’s lawyer. He or she represents the us.
8. The social contract- theory that each of us have rights that we give up for greater of the community.
9. Necessary & proper clause- authority to make law within the constitution.
10. Referendum- requirement for legislature in California if dealing with borrowing of money needs to be send back for referral.
11. Gerrymandering- to favor one class or party more than another.
12. Rule of four- formula, which by justices decide which case to put out.
13. Advice & consent- allows senate to approve or disapprove treaties with other nations.
14. Impeachment- charged with crime while in office.
15. Speaker of the house- elected leader of House of Representatives.
16. President pro tempore- senator who takes over when vice president is absent.
17. Judicial review- power granted to itself by Supreme Court to review law whether it is constitutional or not.
18. Mandates- order coming from higher government to lower government.
19. Filibuster- purpose of delaying legislative action.
20. Earmarks- ability to designate funds already appropriated to support of helping your state.
21. Reapportionment- every 10 years us conducts census of its population to see if there is a change in population.
22. Writ of certiorari- legal order set of superior court to lesser court to send out all of particular case.
23. Comptroller general- head of government of accountability office.
24. The quartering act- pre revolution in which Britain gave their unit rights.
Part II Questions.
1. Constitutional responsibilities of president of US? Commander chief of military. Chief diplomat. Grant for people in jail for general crimes. Vito legislation.
2. Concurrent authorities of governments in federal system? More than one can tax you, borrow money. Legislative and executive laws.
3. Process through which cases end up on docket of us Supreme Court? 8-9,000 cases. First case goes to trial then result is appealed and usually district court of appeals. Lastly case is appealed through writ