1. What did Chloe tell Elijah to do when he left the stable?
a) to go back to Buxton
b) to go get help
c) to not come back
d) None of them above
2. Who does Elijah see when he goes to where all the kids were surrounded at?
a) the conjurer-man who owned the Carnival Of Oddities
c) The Mesmerist
3. When Mr. Leroy was in slavery and they put a “T” on Mr. Leroy’s chest, what did it mean?
4. How many times does the liberty bell ring when new runaway slaves come to live in Buxton?
a) ten times to ring out their old lives and ten more times to ring out their new ones, free lives
b) five times to ring out their old lives and five times to ring out the their new ones, free lives
c) twenty times to ring out their old lives and five times to ring out their new ones, free lives
d) ten times to ring out their old lives and twenty times to ring out their new ones, free lives
5. When Elijah went to Chatham to get the mail, he noticed what kind of writing on the envelope and for who?
a) the letters were in regular plain letters and was for Mr. Leroy
b) ) the letters were written fancy and it was for Mr. Fredrick Douglass
c) the letters were in regular plain letters and was for Mrs. Brown
d) the letters were written fancy and it was for Mrs. Holton
6. What did Mr. Leroy make Elijah do when he took Elijah from the woods?
a) he made Elijah swear to pay him back since he caused his money to be stolen by the Preacher
b) he made Elijah tell Mrs. Holton what happened to the money she gave him
c) he made Elijah go to the village in Michigan with him to see if there was any money left
d) All of them above
7. How many slaves were with Elijah when he got captured and was taken to the barn?
8. What happened to Mr. Leroy’s daughter in Chapter 7?
a) She was beaten to death
b) She was sold
c) She died when she was a baby
d) She was taken by white men
9. At the beginning of Chapter 1, what did Elijah and Cooter see tracks off?
a) bear tracks
b) snake tracks
c) wolf tracks
d) rat tracks
10. Who does Elijah leave a letter for before he leaves to go to Michigan with Mr. Leroy?
a) Mr. Travis
b) Mr. and Mrs. Holton, his parents
d) Mrs. Bixby
Answer the following statements as True or False
11. The name of the lesson Mr. Travis wrote on the board was “Familiarity Breeding Contest!”.
12. Was Elijah the first born child to be born free from slavery in Buxton, Canada?
13. When Elijah and the Preacher, Reverend Deacon Doctor Zephariah Connerly the Third, saw the Madame Sabbar the Royal Huntress from Sweden, she was throwing grapes and knives at MaWee’s.
14. The new runaway slaves of Buxton are suppose too rub the liberty bell with their right hand.
15. Mrs. Holton came to Buxton with a lot of money where she was able to buy fifty acres of land without a loan.
16. Eliah’s mom let him go to the meeting when they found out the Preacher stole Mr. Leroy’s money and shot Mr. Highgate.
17. MaWee wasn’t a slave when he was living at the carnival and was taken care by Massa Charley?
18. Mr. Leroy was always doing extra work so he could get his family out of slavery
19. Chloe gives her baby girl to Elijah so she can live a better life and not have to go back to Kentucky
20. Old Flapjack warned Elijah that someone was watching him when he went fishing
Answer the following short-essay questions based on what you read in the book. Make thoughts thoughtful.
What was the name of the Carnival that the Preacher brought Elijah to? What performances did they watch? Why did the preacher really bring Elijah there? Name_______________________ Date_________________ Period_______…