Which of these diagrams shows the structure of a nucleotide?
Name two nucleic acids.
DNA and RNA
Identify the part of the nucleotide labeled A.
Identify the part of the nucleotide labeled B.
Identify the part of the nucleotide labeled C.
deoxyribose or ribose
Name two nitrogenous bases. guanine, cytosine, or uracil For the following definitions, give the vocabulary word(s):
• segment of DNA that codes for a particular protein (trait)
• process of cell division that eventually results in four nonidentical daughter cells
• unwound single strand of DNA on which new strands are made; used as a model for DNA synthesis • template strand
• basic building blocks of protein molecules
• amino acids
What process is depicted in this diagram? transcriptio n
Identify B. mRNA Identify C.
During which part of the cell cycle does DNA make a copy of itself?
b. G1 stage of interphase c. S stage of interphase d. cytokinesis
Structures made of DNA and protein that contain hereditary information in the form of genes are called? chromosomes
Which molecule translates DNA by carrying an amino acid to the ribosome? tRNA The process of DNA making a copy of itself during the S stage of interphase is called
If the above diagram shows the original chromosome, identify the type of mutation that has occurred in the following chromosomes:
inversion translocation For the following definitions, give the vocabulary word(s):
• male and female sex cells
• goes into the nucleus, makes a copy of a strand of DNA, and then takes it to the ribosome • mRNA
• master copy of your genetic information; found in the nucleus
• molecule that carries anticodons
Fill in the blanks.
Complement ary DNA
What do you call a set of three nitrogenous bases on a mRNA strand? codon
Which codon is the start codon?
Which amino acid does AUG code for? methionine
Identify a stop codon. UGA, UAA, or
Identify this molecule. tRNA X
Identify X. amino acid
This is the ANTIcodon for which animo acid? methionine
Name two of the three ways that RNA is different from DNA.
• single stranded
• contains uracil instead of thymine • contains ribose instead of deoxyribose Which of the following nitrogenous bases will bond with adenine? a. thymine only
b. uracil only
c. thymine and uracil d. cytocine only
e. guanine only
What is the shape of the
molecule? double helix
Identify A. hydrogen bond
Identify B. deoxyribose Identify C. nitrogenous base
Which scientist(s) discovered that genetic material from dead bacteria could transform harmless bacteria into killers?
a. Oswald Avery
c. Hershey &
d. Erwin Chargaf
The main enzyme involved in linking individual nucleotides into DNA molecules is
c. RNA polymerase. d. DNA polymerase. What did Hershey and
Chase’s work show?
a. Genes are probably made of
b. Genes are probably made of protein. c. Genes are made of both DNA and protein. d. Bacteria contain
DNA but not protein. Which scientist discovered that eukaryotic cells contain equal amounts of adenine and thymine and equal amounts of cytosine and guanine but the amounts of adenine-thymine are not equal to the amounts of cytosine-guanine? a. Oswald Avery
b. Frederick Griffith
c. Hershey & Chase
d. Erwin Chargaf
Which part of the pre-mRNA does not code for proteins? intron Which part of the DNA copy exits the nucleus with a cap and tail? exon A
What process is shown in this diagram? DNA…