1) Define : Oxidation 2)a) A piece of copper is placed in a silver nitrate solution. Write down the balanced net ionic equation (redox equation) for this reaction.
b) Which species is the oxidizing agent?
3) Give the oxidation number of S in the species FSO3- ?
4) Is this a redox reaction : 2HCl + Na2S -> 2NaCl + H2S ?
5) In a redox reaction, the increase in the oxidation number of one species is accompanied by the decrease in the oxidation number of another species. Explain.
6) Balance the half reaction : HNO3 -> NO2 in acid solution.
7) Balance the half reaction : NH3 -> N2O in basic solution.
8) The four elements; W, X, Y and Z, form diatomic molecules and also form singly charged negative ions. The following observations are made in a series of experiments :
2X- + Y2 -> 2Y- + X2
2W- + Y2 -> N.R.
2Z- + X2 -> 2X- + Z2.
Arrange the four balanced oxidation half reactions in order with the strongest oxidizer at the top.
9) Predict which reactions are spontaneous. Label S or N.S.
a) Zn + Ag+ ->
b) Hg + H+ ->
c) Sn + Fe2+ ->
10) Which of the following will spontaneously oxidize Fe2+ to Fe 3+? Put
Y or N.
a) Ag+ to Ag
b) Pb2+ to Pb
c) Al 3+ to Al
d) MnO4- to Mn2+
11) Balance the following redox reactions :
a) S 2O32- + I3- -> S4O62- + I-
b) Mn2+ + HBiO3 -> MnO4- + BiO+
c) Cr2O72- + H3AsO3 -> H2AsO4- + Cr3+
d) ClO- + CrO 2- -> Cl - + CrO 42-
e) SO32- + Co(OH)3 -> SO 42- + Co(OH)2
f) Cu2SnS 2 + S…