Food borne illness in The United States is mainly caused by consuming food contaminated with pathogens. The pathogens most commonly affect food supply includes bacteria, viruses, molds, and parasites. In most cases, the symptoms of a microbial foodborne illness include abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. Bacteria are present in everywhere: the soil, on skin, on most surface in homes, even in food. Some common agents of infections include Salmonella, E. Coli, Campylobacter jejumi, Linteria monocytogenes, and Vibrio vulnificus.
Identification of the infection agent
Vibrio Vulnificus is classified as Bacteria. V. Vulnificus is commonly found in naturally in warm coastal areas, for instance Gulf of Mexico. Since the bacteria are rarely isolate from cold water, Vibrio Vulnificus is found in higher concentrations during summer months since the temperature of the water increases. Once infected, Vibrio causes an infection often incurred after eating seafood, specially raw or uncooked oysters. This type of bacteria does not alter the appearance, taste, or odor of oysters, therefore it is very hard to detect the infected oysters. The bacteria can occur the body through open wounds when swimming or wading in infected seawaters, or via puncture wounds from the spinners of fish for instance tilapia.
In healthy people, Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning can cause vomiting, watery diarrhea, nausea, fever, chills and abdominal pain. The incubation period of the infection is 24 hours after being exposed. In people who have weak immune systems, the bacteria can infect the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness. The infection is dangerous to people, for instance, it can lead to long-term liver disease.
Outbreak in United States
According to The Florida Health Department, on September 14, 2013 at Palm Beach, Florida has new warnings issues surrounding a flesh-eating bacteria found in the ocean that has already killed several people in Florida. The Florida Department of Health reports thirty two people have contracted the bacteria and 10 have died from strain.
Vibrio vulnificus, a bacterial infection that people initially thought of as just a spider bite, On September 21, Patty Konietzky and her husband went crabbing on the Halifax River near Ormond Beach in Florida where her husband first noticed the small purple lesion on his ankle in the middle of that night. The next morning, he noticed that his skin was burning near the lesion and hours later, the lesions had quickly spread across his body and he was in major agony. He was rushed to the emergency room and nearly 62 hours since he was in the water, Henry "Butch" Konietzky died.
Prevent Future Outbreak
To prevent from Vibrio symptoms do not eat raw oysters or other raw shellfish, cook shellfish such…