1. Select one of the following major Hospitality industries: Restaurants
2. For industry you selected, read the “industry profile” in the text carefully and answer the questions below. You must also use at least two references from the internet to enrich your opinions. Cite those sources properly.
A. What are the four most important trends in that industry in the last 20 years?
The four most important trends in the Restaurant industry are as follows:
1) Consumers want more choices in their casual dining experience and are eating out far more now than they did in the past. “New products, particularly more convenient ones, also contribute to shifts in consumption, along with more imports, growth in the away-from-home food market, expanded advertising programs, and changes in food-enrichment standards and fortification policy. (Frazao, 1999)”
2) “Dual Branding” and “multi-branding” are important trends as well. This is when two or more food service providers operate out of the same building, sharing fixed costs and some promotional expenses.
3) Healthier / greener meals and more fruits and vegetables are becoming a more current trend with people now than they were in the past. According to the 2012 Hottest Restaurant Menu Trends Survey:
“The top menu trends we’re seeing in our What’s Hot in 2012 survey reflect the macro-trends we have seen grow over the last several years,” said Joy Dubost, Ph.D, R.D., director of Nutrition & Healthy Living for the National Restaurant Association. “Nutrition – especially when it comes to children – is becoming a major focus for the nation’s nearly one million restaurants, in tune with consumers’ increasing interest in healthful eating.”(National Restaurant Association, 2011)
4) The difficulty in finding dependable and qualified labor is an important trend as well.
B. What do you think are the four most important “keys to success” in that industry?
The four most important “keys to success” in the restaurant industry are comparable from what our text says to what I found in an article by Jim Smoot online. He stated the following were the keys to a successful restaurant, and in this order:
1) Food. “A great meal starts with great food. A meal that is well prepared with quality ingredients is a must on any menu. It would take a true friend to come back to your restaurant time and again if the food was not good.” (Smoot, 2010)
2) Service. “Customers will go where they are treated well. It does not matter how good the food is if your customer service is bad. “(Smoot, 2010)
3) Cleanliness. “The next thing that will add to, or destroy, the customers experience is the cleanliness of your restaurant operation. For…