Effects of pH on the Breakdown of Starch by the Enzyme Amylase Result: Comparing the starch concentrations in different pH solution after 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 minutes, the best pH environment for amylase to work efficiently appeared to be around pH 6 and pH 7 (see Figure 1.)
● Figure that shows the relationship between pH environment and the performance of amylase activity.
● Description of the trends, how different pHs resulted differently.
● Which pH environment is the best suited for amylase to perform in. Discussion: The activity of the amylase enzyme in this experiment increased within the pH range of
6 and 7.
● The null hypothesis was rejected based on the result.
● Changes in pH can denature the enzyme by changing the protein's ionic charge.(Robyt 1973)
● The water presented in the cuvettes might cause inaccuracy in the experiment. Human body cannot function properly without the help of enzyme.
● Different enzymes in human body (Scharpe 1972)
● Other factors that might affect the performance of an enzyme (Briggs 1925),
● How to maintain enzyme potential (Granger et al. 2007)
Briggs GE, Haldane JB. 1925. A Note on the Kinetics of Enzyme Action. Biochem
Journal 19:338–339. Granger, D.A., Kivlighan, K.T., ElSheik, M., Gordis, E.B. and Schroud, L.R. 2007.
Salivary alphaamylase in biobehavioral