* What is psychological science? the study of the mind, behavior, brain, combines multiple components
* What is critical thinking and how is it related to psychological science? systematically evaluating information to reach reasonable conclusions. you can use it in psychological science, come up with a conclusion within study
* Goals of psychology
* description: observing behavior
* what is going on?
* explanation: cause of behavior
* what is something going on?
* Prediction: certain conditions relating to a later outcome
* predict outcomes * different circumstances * what will likely happen next?
* control:(influence) intervention
* can we get people to change their behaviors/ habits?
* Foundations of psychology
* what are some important debates in the philosophical roots?
* nature/nurture: environment or biological( born with it) * mind/body complex: “dualism”->intertwined but separate * Structuralism: conscious experience can be broken down into component parts * Experimental
* Philosophy-> science
* Wundt: introspection * have to be systematic * what is going on * evaluation
* Functionalism: how interactions work together * Gestalt: the whole is not the sum of its parts
* notion that perception is subjective and dependent on context * background knowledge and feeling play into perception
* Contemporary foundations
* identify the school of thoughts and their perspective on how to approach psychological science * what historical events/ context lead to the rise to some of these approaches
* Freud: emphasis on the unconscious
* psychoanalysis-> therapist/ client as a team * ideas were mostly untestable
* behaviorism: (watson and skinner)
* observable environmental effects on behavior * behaviors are repeated through consequences that followed the behavior * classical and operant conditioning->punishment and reward mentality
* cognitive approaches: emphasis on function
* how you feel about it * came about in part because of increase use of computer
* brain is like hardware
* thoughts/ feelings
* Levels of analysis
* Biological: area of brain,