Purpose: The purpose of this lab is to observe the behavior of the Armadillium vulgare (roly- poly bug), as well as hypothesize whether it will be attracted to, repelled by, or unresponsive to certain substances.
1. Observing the pillbug: examine the pillbug’s shell and body, shell shape, color, texture, number of legs, number of antennae, motion, speed, and sex after close examination.
2. Formulate hypotheses: choose substances (powders and liquids) and suggest whether the pillbug will be attracted to, repelled by, or unresponsive to each substance.
3. Perform an experiment: using a control, test the pillbug’s reaction to the substances
4. …show more content…
20. The advantages that the metric system provides over the English units of measure is that all conversions, whether for volume, mass(weight), or length, can be in units of ten.
21. Scanning power objective allows you to observe the greatest number of cells within the field of view.
Rolled into a Ball
Observation: Pillbug’s External Anatomy
Observation: Pillbug’s Motion
Table 1.2 Pillbug Speed
Pillbug Millimeters Traveled Time(sec) Average Speed(mm/sec)
1. 11.1 mm 10 1.11 mm/sec
2. 60 mm 10 6 mm/sec
3. 200 mm 10 20 mm/sec
4. 40 mm