* An important topic or problem for debate or discussion.
Global Village * The world considered as a single community linked by telecommunications.
Individual vs. Collective Identity * The difference between individual identity and collective identity is, the different ways you express your opinion and train of thought. Individual is how you dress, talk, argument, everything you do is a part of your identity. Collective is how you express yourself via a group. How to group acts and believes is how you think also.
* Identities can be connected to each other, for example the coltan it’s a metal that most people don’t know it’s used in almost every electronic device to control the flow of electricity in the circuit. It’s mined in the Congo which is a country that has gone through a huge civil war. To survive some turned to mining which is dangerous because of the thieves
Dimensions of Globalization
* Economy * Lots of things come in play in globalization over economy. Transnational Corporations, Stock Market, Privatization and Deregulations, Economies of Sales etc. * Economies of Sales – money saved when buying things in large quantities. * Social * Anything involved in life style. For Example clothing, electronics, place in which to life, etc. * Political * Cations taken by the citizens/government to change problems.
Impact of Media and Communication Technology
* After WWII it became huge. Technology started becoming huge, communication was better and better. Now it’s something that we would never have imagined. Some people think that the universalization of pop culture is making us a homogenized world.
* Homogenization – Erases the difference between people, everyone becomes the same. * Acculturation – Is when two different cultures come together and accommodates to each other. * Accommodation – Adapting to each other. * Assimilation – When the culture is too small and absorbs the culture of another and loses all heritage culture. * Hybridization – The combining of two things (culture) and creating a new one. * Diversification - the act of introducing variety. * Media Concentration and Convergence. * Media Convergence is the different types of ways to distribute the media information. Ex. Newspaper, Cell Phone, Internet, etc.. * Media Concentration is the way TNC control the media now. Only one company owns a bunch of media station for the media becomes BIAS.
Related Issue #2 * Silk Road * It’s the trade route throughout Asia. The first spread of globalization Arabic Number System, clothing, silk, spices. * Industrial Revolution * The Industrial Revolution was the transition to new manufacturing processes that occurred in the period from about 1760 to sometime between 1820 and 1840. * Ethnocentrism * Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group. * Euro-centrism * Belief in the pre-eminence of Europe and the Europeans. * Grand Exchange * The Columbian Exchange, was also known as the Grand Exchange, was a dramatically widespread exchange of animals, plants, culture, human populations (including slaves), communicable disease, and ideas between the American and Afro-Eurasian Hemispheres following the voyage to the Americas by Christopher Columbus in 1492 * Depopulation * The condition of having reduced numbers of inhabitants (or no inhabitants at all) * Beothuk-ere one of the historical aboriginal peoples in Canada. The small group of people lived on the island of Newfoundland at the time of European contact in the 15th and 16th centuries. That went extinct due to a small exchange; some believe it was a genocide cause by the Europeans. * Scramble for Africa * also known as the Race for Africa or Partition of Africa was a process of invasion,…