Society shape people lives in two different ways
Living on the edge- people are isolated from others individuals. People feel that the society is crushing their dreams and goals.
Period of Crisis- period of rapid change which makes people feel off balance. C. Wright Mills use the example of the " Great Depression 1930". Unemployment , job losses, people going crazy.
Our society shapes our life experience.
HIGH INCOME- people live in the rich region
MIDDLE INCOME- people live rural villages
LOW INCOME- poverty city
Thinking globaly helps us learn more about ourselves.
3 kinds of change important in the development of sociology the rise of a factiry-base economy the explosive growth of cities(caused social problems such as violence) new ideas about democracy& political rights
COMET'S 3 STAGES OF SOCIETY
1. SOCIOLOGY- the systematic study of human society.
2. SOCIOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE- special point of view that sees general patterns of society in the lives of people.
3. GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE - the study of the larger world our society's place in it.
4. High-Income countries- the nations with the highest overall standards of living.
5. MIDDLE-INCOME COUNTRIES- Nations with the average standards of living.
6. LOW-INCOME COUNTRIES- nation with the lowest standards of living. The people are usually poor.
7. THEOLOGICAL STAGE- the chruch in Middle Ages
8. METAPHYSICAL STAGE - people saw society as natural (Enlightenment and the ideas of Hobbes)
9. SCIENTIFIC STAGE - physics, chemistry, sociology
10. POSITIVISM - positive facts
11. THEORY- how and why facts are made.
12. THEORETICAL APPROACH - basic image of society that guides thinking and resherch.
13. STRUCTURAL-FUNCTIONAL APPROACH - framework for building theory to solidary and stability
14. SOCIAL STRUCTURE - stable pattern of social behavior
15. SOCIAL FUNCTION - consequence of a social pattern for the operation of society as a whole.
16. MANIFEST FUNCTION- recoganized the intended consequecces of social pattern.