Study Guide for Exam 2 (Chapters 5 through 9)
In preparation for Exam 2, please be sure to study the following information. You will be tested on the information below. It is highly recommended that you read the chapters and Powerpoint lectures, and then answer the questions. If you would like to receive four points extra credit, bring your completed study guide on the day of the test. Answer the questions on a separate page so that you have enough room to sufficiently answer the questions. You are not required to recopy the questions.
There will be 40 multiple-choice questions worth 1 point each for a total of 40 points. You will need to purchase a Scantron 882E at the ELAC Bookstore. The Bookstore is in the D7 Building behind the Swim Stadium. If you have any questions, please be sure to ask Dr. Rice or email her at email@example.com.
1) What is a scheme and what is assimilation?
2) What are object permanence and habituation?
3) Why can’t you usually remember much of what happened in the early years of your life?
4) What is language and how do infants communicate at birth?
5) What are the vocabulary differences between lower and higher SES children?
6) What are emotions?
7) At what age does separation protest peak?
8) What are the characteristics of the different temperaments of children according to Chess and Thomas?
9) Why is goodness of fit important in terms of temperament?
10) What is the second stage of Erikson’s theory of development, and what are some of the characteristics of this stage?
11) What is attachment, and what are some of the attachment styles found in the “Strange Situation” experiment?
12) What kinds of skills demonstrate the development of gross and fine motor skills?
13) What is the main factor associated with poor nutrition in American kids?
14) What are egocentrism, animism, and conservation?
15) What is the Zone of Proximal Development?
16) When a child talks to himself as a way of self-regulating his behavior, what is he doing?
17) Which Eriksonian psychosocial stage takes place in early childhood?
18) What is the most appropriate response for a parent to give…