Study Guide Questions
1. What was Scout's fantasy regarding Arthur (Boo) Radley?
Scout's fantasy regarding Arthur Radley would be, to have a normal polite conversation with him and she also fantasized for him to be like every other neighbor in Maycomb.
2. What did Scout hear Miss Gates say at the courthouse? In class, Miss Gates said," That's the difference between America and Germany. We are a democracy and Germany is a dictatorship. We don't believe in persecuting anybody. Persecution comes from people who are prejudiced. Compare and contrast these two statements. What does this tell us about Miss Gates?
Scout heard Miss Gates say, “It's time to teach the blacks a lesson.” That quote tells us that Miss Gates is just a hypocrite that she is just as racist as Hitler was, but for a different group of people.
3. What happened to Judge Taylor?
Someone was breaking into the judge's house, but then the judge and his dog frightened him away.
4. What happened to Helen Robinson?
Helen Robinson was harassed by Bob Ewell. He harrased Helen because he was furious that he didn't win the trial.
5. What was Scout's part in the pageant?
Scout was a ham in the pageant.
6. Why did Scout and Jem not leave the school until almost everyone else had gone.
Scout was embarrassed because she fell asleep, came on stage late during the pageant and ruined Mrs. Merriweather's program.
7. What happened to Jem and Scout on the way home from the pageant?
On their way home from the pageant, Bob Ewell attacked Jem and Scout.
8. Who saved Jem and Scout? Who killed Bob Ewell? Boo Radley saved Jem and Scout. He also killed Bob Ewell.
9. Why did Heck Tate insist that Bob Ewell fell on his own knife?
Heck Tate insist that Bob Ewell fell on his own knife because he figured out that Boo Radley killed Bob, but he saw no sense dragging the one he