Essay on TDA 3

Submitted By Izzard38
Words: 2498
Pages: 10

Schools as organizations TDA3.2
All three to four year olds in the UK are entitled to free part time early years education. This can include nursery schools, day nurseries, pre schools and child minders, and is focused around learning through play. The government fund up to fifteen hours per week for thirty-eight weeks of the year, an additional hours are at a cost to the parents. This free entitlement provides all children with tan opportunity to benefit from early years education.
Some two years olds may also be entitled to these funded places, but parents must be receiving certain benefits.


Learning is commonly divided into educational stages: early years, primary, secondary, higher and further.There are four main different types of state schools:
Community schools - these schools follow the national curriculum and are run and owned by the local authority (LEA). The governing body is responsible for running the school, however the local education authority will decide on the admissions policy. Community schools help develop strong links with the community by offering use of the schools facilities and providing services such as adult education classes.
Foundation and Trust Schools- these schools have a charitable trust with an outside partner , a business for example. The school is run by its own governing body, who determine admission policies in consultation the local education authority. The school will follow the national curriculum. Any land and buildings are owned by the governing body.
Voluntary schools - there are two types of voluntary school, aided and controlled.
Aided - these are mainly faith schools, however anyone can apply for a place. The schools are run by their own governing body although the land and buildings are often owned by a religious organization. Voluntary aided schools are funded by the governing body, the charity and the LEA. Pupils attending these schools will follow the national curriculum.
Controlled - these schools are religious schools which are run and funded by the LEA. The local education authority also employs the staff and provides support services. The land and buildings are usually owned by a religious organization.
Specialist schools - children with special educational needs can be educated in specialist schools. These schools can apply for specialist school status to develop one or two particular subjects, or to specialize under one of the four areas of the SEN code of practice. This sets out the requirements for identifying and monitoring pupils with special educational needs. This status enables the school to gain additional government funding.
Independent schools - these schools are funded by fees paid by parents and often have income from investments. They do not have to follow the national curriculum and the head teacher and governors decide on the admissions policy. Independent schools must register with the department for education (DFE) so that they can be monitored regularly.
Academies - these schools usually have sponsors, such as businesses, other schools or voluntary groups. Academies have close links the local education authority but they are not monitored by them.

Pupils are now required to continue in education or training until at least seventeen years of age. They do not necessarily have to stay in school but should be in full or part time education in sixth form college, be competing an aprenteship or be in employment with training to NVQ level two.
There are several individuals and groups who are responsible for the smooth running and organization of a school
School governors are a group of people who are responsible for running the school. The governors will be made up of a variety of people who have links with the school and local