Unit 206 – Understand the role of the social care worker
The numbers in the bracket after each question relate to the assessment criteria in the standards
1. Explain how a working relationship is different from a personal relationship (1.1.1)
Working relationships are different from a personal relationship because working relationships are based on policies and procedures and agreed ways of working. Working relationships are professional based. My job role as a care assistant is to deliver a good standard to my residents including support for everyday living. I do remember and understand person centred values which helps me to do what is right for the residents for example giving them a choice or if they change their mind then that is okay. A personal relationship is based on emotions and you usually have support between each other and can be yourself around friends and family. Also personal relationships involve doing things outside of work together.
2. Describe different working relationships in health and social care settings (1.1.2) My role as a care assistant is to ensure that the support I give to the residents is according to their agreed plan of care and is also my responsibility to provide the resident with good quality of care. I can do this by involving the residents in all decision making and encouraging the residents to come up with ideas and giving me their feedback about the care they receive. It is important to keep communication going between me and the residents. The role of the home manager is to make sure that consent is given before any care is given to the residents and to ensure enough care is given to residents who cannot make decisions by themselves. Also to make sure all care given is provided in a person centred manner. Some residents need encouragement and support from me as the care assistant so they can participate fully.
3. Describe why it is important to adhere to the agreed scope of the job role (2.2.1)
It is important to adhere to the agreed scope of the job role because when I was given my position I agreed with the job description as part of my contract with my Employer. So it is my legal responsibility to adhere to my job role. In order to be successful in my job role it is important to be accountable and respectful and is my duty to understand my expectations of my job as well as understanding my professional boundaries.
4. Outline what is meant by agreed ways of working (2.2.2)
Agreed ways of working means following policies and procedures at all times including the resident and their care plan and what is agreed with the residents. There is a code of conduct which everybody should know about and is all about protecting the vulnerable. Agreed ways of working means ways I am able to apply the most recent rules and regulations.
5. Explain the importance of full and up-to-date details of agreed ways of working (2.2.3)
The importance of agreed ways of working starts before anybody is put in the social care environment. Having your job description and reading it thoroughly and understand it means that you agree to the ways of working by sticking to policies and procedures and by knowing that you have the correct experience and skills for the job. It is important to keep up to date with care plans, company policies and procedures and risk assessments. Making sure they are signed when read so the manager can see who has read them and who has not. Without up to date information and safety the residents will be put at risk. If there was no agreed ways of working then the individual would not no what was expected of them and would be made