“I was never interested
in what everybody else was interested in. I was very interiorized. I always felt kind of sad.”
● Born in 1958 in Burbank, California
● Introverted and misunderstood, misfit.
● Enjoyed Horror and Sci-Fi movies growing up
● Graduated from California Institute of Arts in 1979
● Worked as a Disney animator for less than a year ● First short film, Vincent, was based on a poem he wrote.
● Favorite films are Dracula A.D. 1972, The
Wicker Man, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, The
War of the Gargantuas and The Omega Man
● Voted the 49th Greatest Director of all time by
Entertainment Weekly, being the youngest director on this list of 50.
● (1990) Won: Outstanding Animated Program for Beetlejuice
● (2006) Nominated: Best Animated Feature for Corpse Bride
● (2013) Nominated: Best Animated Feature for Frankenweenie
Chicago Film Critics Association Awards
● (2004) Nominated: Best Director for Big Fish
Golden Globe Awards
● (2008) Nominated : Best Director – Motion Picture for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
National Board of Review Awards
● (2008) Won: Best Director for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
64th Venice International Film Festival
● (2007) Honored: Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement
Lacanian Psychoanalysis Prize
● (2010) Won
The Order of the Arts and Letters
● (2010) Knighted by Culture Minister of France
Moscow International Film Festival
(2012) "Golden George" for his contribution to world cinema
Edgar Alan Poe
Summary: The film shows the story of an artificial man named Edward, an unfinished creation, who has scissors for hands. Edward is taken in by a suburban family and falls in love with their teenage daughter Kim.
Edwards mansion is very dark
Edward himself wears dark clothing
The town has bright pastels
Used to show irony between good and evil.
Dark doesn't always mean evil.
When Edward is first seen the lighting is low key, high contrast
Use of shadows, fairytale like
The town has high key low contrast lighting
At the end lighting adds suspense, very dark with light coming through the broken roof.
● Low angle
● Establishing shot
● Close up
● Medium shot
● Point of View
● Conformity vs. Individuality
● What defines Happiness?
o o o
Do not conform to society trying to exsist in a normal world
Edward Scissor Hands: Edward
Alice in wonderland: Mad Hatter
Sleepy Hollow: Ichabod Crane
Symbolic of Burton himself.
Summary: Edward Bloom, a former traveling salesman from the Southern
United States with a gift for storytelling, now confined to his deathbed.
Bloom's estranged son, a journalist, attempts to mend their relationship as his dying father relates tall tales of his eventful life as a young adult.
Mise en scene:
● Controlled setting
● Fairy Tale like
● Saturated color, rich
Voice of son