Course Number/Section/Name: MGT 4336
Prerequisites (if any): MGT 3330, Senior standing
Professor: Dr. Jonathan Shaffer
Class Days/Times/Location or Other Format: Online
Office Location: Classroom Center 213M
Office Hours: All office hours are by appointment. However, I am usually in my office from 9am to 5pm each day. Feel free to stop by or call my office anytime to confirm that I am there.
Office Phone: 806-651-2489
A student's continued enrollment in this course signifies acknowledgment of and agreement with the statements, disclaimers, policies, and procedures outlined within this syllabus and elsewhere in the WTClass environment. This Syllabus is a dynamic document. Elements of the course structure (e.g., dates and topics covered, but not policies) may be changed at the discretion of the professor.
This course is designed as a series of directed readings on the leadership of the self and the leadership of others. It requires an extensive amount of reading and writing. You are required to write fifteen short papers during the course of the semester.
Course Materials (Text, calculator, etc.)
There is a large amount of reading that is required for this course. However, it is important to note several things about the reading list below. First, the books are not textbooks. They are popular press books. Therefore, they are shorter and much easier to read than are traditional textbooks. Second, the cost of the books is much lower than the cost of traditional textbooks. Third, the final item on the required reading list consists of articles that are available at no cost to you. In the end, the total cost of purchasing new copies of the books and cases for this course should be less than $30 if the books are purchased online.
1. Covey, Stephen (2003). 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Personal Workbook. ISBN: 978-0743250979. List price: $16.00. Amazon price (new): $10.88. Used copies are a bit less expensive.
2. Kouzes, J. M., & Posner, B. Z. (2008). The Leadership Challenge (4th edition). ISBN: 978-0787984922. List price: $24.95. Amazon price (new): $16.30. Used copies are even less expensive. The 3rd edition of this book is acceptable (and much cheaper than the 4th edition).
4. Additional required readings are available on WTClass.
Learning Goals of the BBA Program
The College of Business at West Texas A&M University seeks to prepare students in the BBA degree program for careers in business and to foster their professional growth and advancement via the key learning goals. Each learning goal is accompanied by an operational definition for the goal.
* Goal 1: Communication: Graduates of the BBA program will be effective communicators.
* Goal 2: Critical Thinking: Graduates of the BBA program will be critical thinkers.
* Goal 3: Business Environment: Graduates of the BBA program will be knowledgeable of ethical, global, and social environmental factors and how they relate to business decisions.
* Goal 4: Functional Business Analyses and Applications: Graduates of the BBA program will be knowledgeable in the functional areas of business and their integration.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
1. Describe your strengths, values, goals, personal traits, and behavioral styles and evaluate the impact of these individual differences on your leadership effectiveness.
2. Understand models of effective leadership and synthesize these models to create a comprehensive understanding of effective leadership.
3. Use your understanding of effective leadership to critically analyze individual and global leadership issues and problems and develop solutions to those problems.
4. Communicate leadership issues in a clear and concise manner.
Map from COB Learning Goals to Objectives for this course
Course Learning Objective | |…