Plot: must have a beginning middle and end
Beginning: must start with a cause and effect chain.
Middle or Climax: caused by earlier incidents and itself cause the incidents that follow it (i.e., its causes and effects are stressed).
End or resolution: must be caused by the preceding events
*must have a fast paste cause and effect
1. “good or fine.” Aristotle relates this quality to moral purpose and says it is relative to class: “Even a woman may be good, and also a slave, though the woman may be said to be an inferior being, and the slave quite worthless.”
2. “fitness of character” (true to type); e.g. valor is appropriate for a warrior but not for a woman.
3. “true to life” (realistic)
4. “consistency” (true to themselves). Once a character's personality and motivations are established, these should continue throughout the play.
5. “necessary or probable.” Characters must be logically constructed according to “the law of