* John Quincy Adams = * Drafted a "circular letter" for Massachusettes assembly to pass and circulate to other colonies. * Abolition = * The act of abolishing a system or practice or institution (especially abolishing slavery) * Missouri Compromise = * an agreement in 1820 between pro-slavery and anti-slavery factions in the United States concerning the extension of slavery into new territories * Henry Clay = * United States politician responsible for the Missouri Compromise between free and slave states (1777-1852) * Annexation = * the formal act of acquiring something (especially territory) by conquest or occupation * Nullification = * the states'-rights doctrine that a state can refuse to recognize or to enforce a federal law passed by the United States Congress * Manifest Destiny = * This expression was popular in the 1840s. Many people believed that the U.S. was destined to secure territory from "sea to sea," from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean. This rationale drove the acquisition of territory. * McCulloch v. Maryland * 1819, Chief justice John Marshall limits of the US constitution and of the authority of the federal and state govts. One side was opposed to establishment of a national bank and challenged the authority of federal govt to establish one. Supreme court ruled that power of federal govt was supreme that of the states and the states couldn’t interfere * Worcester v. Georgia = * Supreme Court Decision - Cherokee Indians were entitled to federal protection from the actions of state governments which would infringe on the tribe's
November 24, 2009
Why weren’t there more slave revolts and rebellions in the 200 year history of the South? In what other ways did slaves demonstrate their opposition to the system?
November 25, 2009
Evaluate the impact of slavery on the economic and social systems of the South.
November 26, 2009
How did the South’s reliance on a slave labor system restrict its ability to diversify its economy?…
Honors US History I
Americans must stay on the East side of the Appalachian Mountains.
Imposed by British
Olive Branch Petition
Last petition to British to leave the U.S. alone
All federal documents must be approved and stamped with British Stamp
US History Unit 1 Exam Study Guide
1. Colonist came from England to free themselves from religious persecution.
2. The Virginia House of Burgesses marked the beginning of a Representative Democracy, in what is now the United States.
3. The Mayflower Compact was the first example of self-government. Pilgrims needed to govern themselves if they were going to survive in the new colony they were about to form.
103 I concede with the speaker that the study of history is relevant to our daily lives. History can guide our lives today in some way. Nevertheless, they are not merely related to daily lives, they meet the needs of future generations. In my view, the study of history is not only relevant to our daily lives, but also has close connections with future generations.
The study of history is close to our daily life.…
But, don’t our values sometimes guide us into making decisions about ourselves and other people? Doesn’t it guide us as to how we live our lives and view ourselves every day? Our values can sometimes be biased and it is hard to put our values aside and look at the whole picture without already assuming we know the causes of the problem.…
STUDY GUIDE: MODULE 1
As you read this week’s textbook reading assignments, take notes in response to these questions and statements. This study guide will help you to prepare for your quiz.
Fee and Stuart.
1. Know: Hermeneutics is the art and science, or as some would say the theory and practice, of interpretation.
2. What do they say is the aim of a good interpretation? To get at the “plain meanings of the text.”…
The sun, which is the largest celestial body to our eye, has throughout our history represented the strongest and most reverent. It is our home star, but even it too has only a small place in a universe that contains billions of stars just like our own. Astronomy is the study of this universal expanse. It is to look up at the stars, planets, and moons above us and to organize them enough to provide some understanding of what the universe is, where the universe is going, and how does it work.…
Numerical study of foraging behavior with short and long range movement in heterogeneous environments.
Doctoral Research: Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, 19XX-19XX, (research adviser: Dr. James Advisername).
Field study of the impact of avian predation on Anolie lizards in the eastern Caribbean documents the importance of differences in spatial scale between prey and predators.…
." - French President Jacques Chirac
A pre-emptive strike lacks moral authority and violates previous US policy.
The war will create civilian casualties.
The UN inspectors might be able to resolve this issue.
The liberating army will lose troops.
The Iraqi state could disintegrate.
The US and allies will be responsible for rebuilding a new nation.
There is little proof of a connection to Al-Queda.
A Turkish invasion of the Kurdish region of Iraq…