1. Korea is divided by this betw. Soviet North w/ a Communist gov. and US South. During Korean War, General MacArthur was told not to go past this, but when he did to push North to China, he was fired.
2. Japan wrote a new constitution that outlawed war, after WWII. May 1947. America’s goal was to make Japan a cold war ally.
3. This band was part of the British invasion
4. Wrote folk music, protest songs against Vietnam War—“Blowing in the Wind”
5. 1954--declared state laws establishing separate public schools for black and white students unconstitutional. The decision overturned the Plessy v. Ferguson
6. After Sun Yat-sen's death, in 1925, he took over the Nationalist party to expand
territory. In 1920's, he got Shanghai (1927) and then Beijing, controlling much of
China. At the time, he could be seen as most
influential warlord. He also got rid of Communists in the central
7. Guomingdang--Sun Yat-sen. In 1945, post WWII, Commies had clear advantage when
Japanese defeated Chiang's forces on the gulf, so they fled to Taiwan!
8. During the war of liberation against the French, this was the critical battle the
Viet won w/ guerilla warfare against the French in 1954. This lead to an
international conference at Geneva that said Viet Minh
controlled the North and there would be election for South.
9. 1958-1966= "----Backwards!" econ and soc campaign by Communist party of China,
Four principles: All around development, mass motivation, political unanimity,
decentralization (strong local gov)
10. See #7
11. late 1920's, leader of Communist Party of Vietnam when they start getting
revolutionary ideas. Names city after him.
12. After WWII, rebuilding was fast, bc of people's hard work and nation pursuit of
success through group effort--lead to production of cars, cameras, and electronics
for world market
13. 1975-1979 = extensive and ruthless program to reconstruct Cambodia, wanted
"purity" had genocide
14. TURNING POINT IN COLD WAR.
1950-1953 = June 25, N korea first strikes s. korea. US and UN sent troops and aid
to SK, General MacArthur in command.
Nov 1950 is when Chinese soldiers pour over border, 1951 pushed back July 1953
armistice signed--not peace treaty
15. Communist party did this, went to Shaanxi province in NW China, stay there until
1940's. Chiang tried to go against communists, but Jap invaded
17. 1919 = huge demonstrations in China w/ students and nationalist politicians in
cities of betrayal of China's sovereignty. it was a public outrage! GOAL is to
create a liberal democracy
18. See 7
19. 1955-1963 = first president of South Viet, in the wake of French withdrawal from
Indochina and Geneva Accord (which splits Vietnam)
20. the French Bishop of Adran chose to support this last surviving member of Nguyen
house after the Tayson Rebellion in the 1770's...in 1802, this man's armies defeated
Tayson in the N and S, the proclaimed himself as the Gia Long emporer
21. vs. Tayson…