April 9, 2013
To complete this assignment, you will need to find and have access to the following two documents:
1. Form 10-K for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (the Company) for the year ended January 31, 2012 2. Proxy Statement (Schedule DEF 14A) for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (the Company) for the 2012 shareholders’ meeting
1. What are the Company’s three operating segments?
Answer: Wal-Mart’s three operating segments are; Wal-Mart U.S., Wal-Mart International and Sam's Club.
2. For the fiscal year ending January 31, 2012, for the Walmart International segment, in what three foreign countries did the Company have the greatest number of stores? How many stores were located in each of these three countries? What was the total square footage of the stores in each of these countries?
| | |Total Square Footage |
|Country |Number of Stores |(in thousands) |
|Mexico |2,088 | 85,253 |
|Central America |622 |9,501 |
|United Kingdom |541 |33,765 |
3. What is the breakdown of net sales by Merchandise Category Unit for the Sam’s Club segment for the fiscal year ending January 31, 2012? Compare this information to that for the fiscal year ending January 31, 2011.
| |Fiscal Year Ending |Fiscal Year Ending |
|Strategic Merchandise Unit |January 31, 2012 |January 31, 2011 |
|Grocery and consumables |55 % |55 % |
|Fuel and other categories |24 % |23 % |
|Technology, office and entertainment |8 % |9 % |
|Home and apparel |8% |8% |
|Health and wellness |5% |5% |
|Total |100% |100% |
4. Using information presented in the five-year financial summary, calculate the percentage increase in net sales, gross profit margin, operating income, diluted income per share from continuing operations attributable to Walmart, dividends per share, inventories, and unit counts for the Walmart U.S. segment from the fiscal year ended January 31, 2008 to the fiscal year ended January 31, 2012. (Do not include percentage increases for interim years). Show your calculations and round your percentages to two decimal places.
| |Percentage Increase from |
| |January 31, 2008 to January 31, 2012 |