Webquest: The Civil Rights Movement of the 1950’s and 60’s Directions: Use the websites to
answer each of the following questions. Each correct response is worth 4 points.
1. What role did Medgar Evers play in the Civil Rights movement?
● He became the first state field secretary of the NAACP in Mississippi.
2. Who assassinated Medgar Evers? Why was he killed? \
● Byron De La Beckwith killed Evers because he didn’t believe in the advancement of
whites; Beckwith was a founding member of the Mississippi’s White Citizens Council.
3. What did the Greensboro Four do?
● They sat in a whites only lunch counter in Woolworth store on South Elm Street.
4. Who supported the Greensboro Four?
● They were supported by other college students, an elderly white woman and the city’s
5. In which city did Ruby Bridges and her attempt to desegregate a public school take place?
● new orlands
6. How did segregationists react after Ruby was allowed to attend an allwhite public school?
● They rioted in the streets to protest.
7. What happened to Ruby’s dad and grandparents because of the controversy?
● Her father was fired from his job and her grandparents were sharecroppers who were
kicked off of their land.
8. In 1942, which individual first proposed the March on Washington?