Land of the free,
Home of the brave… and
• In June 2012, Scott Walker became the first governor in U.S. history to survive a recall election. Once again he beat Tom Barrett, mayor of Milwaukee and Walker's 2010 opponent. History
• The Wisconsin region was first explored for
France by Jean Nicolet, who landed at Green
Bay in 1634. In 1660 a French trading post and
Roman Catholic mission were established near present-day Ashland.
You’re making me feel old
• Wisconsin is the number one papermaking state in the nation. It has been the leader for more than 55 years. • The tasty and healthy cranberries tie to the state of
Wisconsin. Wisconsin produces more cranberries than any other state in the nation: approximately
3.51 million barrels (1 barrel = 100 pounds) per year.
Now that boring stuff is over its time for the not so boring stuff
State bird- Robin
State Tree- Sugar Maple
State animal- Bagger
State beverage- Milk
State insect- Honey bee
State Song- Oh Wisconsin
State motto- Forward
• The most notable physiographic feature of the state is its profusion of lakes, over 8,500, ranging in size from Lake Winnebago (215 sq mi/557 sq. km) to tiny glacial lakes of surprising beauty.
Places to go
• Henry Villas Zoo-The mammals we exhibit serve as ambassadors for their wild cousins. From reclusive reptiles to massive mammals, the species here at
Henry Vilas Zoo educate…