1. Juliet goes to see Friar Lawrence for advice on an alternative on how to get out of the marriage with Paris. She threatens death if he doesn’t help. The friar comes up with a plan for Juliet to drink a vial of a certain liquid that will put her into a deep sleep for 48 hours. She will be put in a coffin where Romeo and the friar will come and rescue her when she wakes up, and Romeo and Juliet will go to Mantua until their marriage can be made public.
2. Prediction 1: The plan will go horribly wrong.
Prediction 2: The vial will not work and Juliet will have to marry Paris.
Prediction 3: The friar will bail out on Romeo and Juliet and tell the truth to prince.
“Ready to go, but never to return.
O son! The night before thy wedding day
Hath death lain with thy wife. There she lies.
Flower as she was, deflowered by him.
Death is my son-in-law. Death is my heir.
My daughter he hath wedded. I will die,
And leave him all. Life, living, all is Death’s.”
4. As the reader, we know he helps them at first because their marriage could have ended the family feud, but later Juliet threatens to kill herself if he doesn’t help her. What are the friar’s thoughts on the situation truthfully though? Does he agree with what they are doing morally?
5. The letter that Romeo was supposed to get from the friar did not get sent and Friar Lawrence now has to deal with the situation. Juliet could not find alternatives to getting out of marriage so had to debate whether to kill herself or not.
6. Juliet takes the vial and drinks the potion so everyone will think she is dead and she will not have to marry Paris. Then she can go to Mantua and live with Romeo happily.
7. The main theme of this act is secrecy. I believe it’s this because of the elaborate plan the friar has for Juliet, which is the highlight of the act.
Romeo and Juliet Act 5 Note Page
1. During the course of events, Romeo does not receive word on the plan. He believes Juliet is dead and immediately rides to Verona where he encounters Paris. They fight and Paris is killed. Romeo then kills himself to be with Juliet. Juliet wakes up and sees Romeo dead. She stabs herself and she dies. Friar Lawrence explains what happened to the families and the feud ends. Statues are to be made in honor of Romeo and Juliet.
2. Prediction 1: Paris will find someone else to marry
Prediction 2: Juliet’s parents will live in remorse for the rest of their lives.
Prediction 3: Balthasar will become a…