● Commissioner of Transport was created April 1st 1878 to regulate Southern Pacific RR
● 3 member RR commission was established to regulate transportation prices
● other common utilities came under the watch as regulation became more common
● 4151880 Board of RR commissioners was adopted by the constitutional convention
● 3241911 California legislature proposed a constitutional amendment giving it constitutional status, which was ratified by the electorate on October 10, 1911.
● On June 16, 1945 a constitutional amendment was proposed by the legislature to rename the
Railroad Commission as the California Public Utilities Commission, which was ratified by the electorate on November 5, 1946.
● As a result of the amendment, the
Constitution of California declared that the Public Utilities
Code is the highest law in the state, that the legislature has unlimited authority to regulate public utilities under the Public Utilities Code, and that its provisions override any conflicting provision of the State Constitution which deals with the subject of regulation of public utilities.
● commissioners serve staggered 6 yr terms, are appointed by the governor, and must be approved by the CA state senate
● The CPUC meets publicly to carry out the business of the agency, which may include the
adoption of utility rate changes, rules on safety and service standards, implementation of conservation programs, investigation into unlawful or anticompetitive practices by regulated utilities and intervention into federal proceedings which affect California ratepayers.
● monitors telecommunications
● environmentally friendly
WHAT THEY DO
Utility rate changes, rules on safety and service standards, implementation of conservation programs, investigation into unlawful or anticompetitive practices by regulated utilities and intervention into federal proceedings which affect California ratepayers. IMPACT
The board has passed many laws and codes since its formation in 1911. Most recently, it has been doing work with solar electricity and of different types of communications. In the past, their work has been done on many things, like gas restrictions and UPDATE: In 1970, CEQA(California Environmental Quality Act) came into effect. This affected the
CPUA because it protected the environment which changed the way the CPUA would be carried out.
For example, to construct a utility line, construction companies now have to apply for a permit from the
CPCN, and the proposed project’s environmental impacts must be taken into account.
PUBLIC UTILITIES CODE
SECTION 122 1. This act shall be known as the Public Utilities Code. 2. The provisions of this code, insofar as they are substantially the same as existing statutory provisions relating to the same subject matter, shall be construed as restatements and continuations thereof, and not as new enactments. 4. No action or proceeding commenced before this code takes effect, and no right accrued, is affected by this code, but all procedure thereafter taken therein shall conform to the provisions of this code
so far as possible. 5. Unless the provision or the context otherwise requires, the definitions, rules of construction, and other general provisions contained in Sections 1 to 22, inclusive, and the definitions in the
Public Utilities Act (Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 201) of Part
1 of Division 1), shall govern the construction of this code. 6. Division, part, chapter, article, and section headings do not in any manner affect the scope, meaning, or intent of the provisions of this code. 7. Whenever a power is granted to, or a duty is imposed upon, a