Abstract: In this experiment, we learnt about Osmosis and Diffusion through potato slices and dialysis tubes in different concentration of sucrose; (Di water, .2, .4, .6, .8, and 1.0). However, our result was quite off in both of out labs but although our graph and our results were off, it still partially backed up our hypothesis.
Introduction: Osmosis is a special kind of diffusion in which water moves through a selectively permeable membrane while diffusion is the movement of solute particles from a region of high concentration to a region of concentration. The solute that we used in our labs was sucrose and we had six different amount of it; (0.2m sucrose, 0.4m sucrose, 05m sucrose, 0.6m sucrose, 0.8m sucrose and 1.0m sucrose) and in our lab we predicted that the first lab would be a hypotonic solution and the second part would be a hypertonic solution.
For Part I:
1) We first cut out 6 strips of dialysis tubing and tie a knot in one end of each.
2) Then we pour out 15-20 ml of the following in the bag:
-Distilled water, 0.2m sucrose, 0.4m sucrose, 05m sucrose, 0.6m sucrose, 0.8m sucrose and 1.0m sucrose.
3) Calculate the mass of each bag and record it.
4) After that, we fill a 250 ml beaker with two-thirds of distilled water and place the bags in the beaker.
5) Let it stay for 20-30 minutes
6) After time is up, remove the bags from water and dry it.
7) We then measure the mass of each bag and record it.
8) Then, we complete the table. *See packet*
For Part II:
1) We first pour out 100ml of assigned solution into a beaker.
2) Get a potato and try to cut it into four equal slices or cubes.
3) Determine the mass of the four slices of potato and add them up together and record it.
4) After that we place the potatoes into the…