October , 2013
Risk priorty1/ RISK INDEX 16-Earthquake
- geographical location puts Vancouver BC in a high risk zone
- earthquake would most likely result from convergent activity along the Cascadia subduction zone – activity along transform faults could also trigger a violent damaging earthquake as activity generated from tectonic movements along fault lines can cause high magnitude initial shock waves and many aftershocks
- Table 1.1 shows a list of high magnitude historical earthquakes located in or near the city of Vancouver British Columbia. (TABLE RETRIEVED FROM http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/world/historical.php)
- to manage earthquake damage we can: design earthquake reistane infrastructure and or strehgthen exisintg buildings to withstand tremors/quakes.
- provide education and emergency procedure in schools and workplace enviornments.
Risk priority 2/ RISK INDEX 6-Transportation Accident – ROAD
- High frequency
- According from an ICBC traffic collection stat in 2007 there were: 67,978 drivers involved in collisions
372 fatal collisions
25,064 persons injured these large numbers can be reduced by having larger fines for frequent offenders and revoke driving privileges after a certain number of accidents in an allotted time.
Current laws are changing with technology and having a ban on using cellphones is a great way to progress towards the future.
Risk priority 3/ RISK INDEX 9- Fire – industrial
- BC Dollar Losses, Fire Injuries and Fire Fatalities 5 Year Summary
- process of a fire begins with fuel, source of ignition, oxygen and the process of combustion.
Population for BC
Total Number of Fires
BC Fire Injury/ Fatality Rate*