I. In 2013, both Colorado and Washington, passed laws to decriminalize this drug.
II. On top of that 20 states provide it for medical reasons.
III. Police have arrested almost 750,000 people for marijuana; jails would be less populated and filled with real criminals if the states would legalize marijuana.
IV. For those who are still up in the air about it, I’ve gathered 8 well rounded reasons why those should reconsider their feelings; No one has overdosed, 40% of Americans already admitted to using it, it’s much safer than already legalized drugs, very low risk abuse, safe and useful sleep aid, used for medical reasons, successful people smoke it, and it is not a gateway drug
I. No one has ever died of a marijuana overdoes.
A. THC does not kill
1. THC produces a relaxed state and may heighten the senses.
2. Not one account of death from overdose.
B. 2010- 38,329 people died from overdoses caused by legal drugs.
1. 60% prescription drugs.
2. 30,006 unintentional.
3. Each year these numbers continue to increase.
C. More deaths are even caused from legal drug substances, than from car accidents.
1. In 2010, 33,687 deaths were from traffic accidents.
(Transition: Now let’s take a look at my next point)
II. Around 40% of Americans have already admitted to using marijuana.
A. Substances Abuse and Mental Health stated that an estimated 18.9 million people use marijuana.
1. In 2012 - 7.3 percent used in the past month.
2. 2007 to 2013, 5.8% of Americans said they regularly use this drug.
B. People are starting to feel much safer using this drug.
(Transition: This brings me to my next point.)
III. Marijuana is much safer than already legalized drugs.
A. If people are so accepting of alcohol, then they should have no problem with marijuana.
1. In 2010, 25,692 people died from alcohol- related causes.
2. Liver disease and car crashes are not the only health risk
3. 12 conditions caused from heavy drinking.
c. Cardiovascular disease
i. High blood pressure
j. Infectious diseases
k. Nerve damage
4. 1/3 accidents cause from drinking
a. In 2010, 10,228 killed due to drinking
b. In 2010, 1.4 million drivers were arrested
B. Another substance that people are hypercritical about is tobacco.
1. Harmful to every organ in the body and causes death.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, states 440,000 deaths.
3. One of every three cancer deaths in the United States would not happen.
4. 90% of all lung cancer death in men, and 80% in women.
5. 90% of all deaths from continuing lung disease are caused by smoking.
(Transition: Now let’s take a look at my fourth point)
IV. Marijuana has a very low risk abuse.
A. People do not lose control of its use; they smoke the amount they want to use and when they want to use it.
B. According to Dr. Sanjay Gupta; 9 percent of adult users become dependent on marijuana.
1. Cocaine hooks 20 percent of its users, and heroin hooks 25 percent of its users.
2. The worse is tobacco, 30 percent of its users become addicted.
C. Some can feel withdraw but get over it on their own
D. As for withdraw from opiates, everyone needs help
(Transition: Now let’s take a look at the point for one of the main reasons it’s used)
V. Marijuana can be a safe and useful sleep aid.
A. Decreases the amount of time it takes to fall asleep.
B. I found a quote from, Clinical Pharmacology Therapy that says, “The effect on sleep of THC administration closely resembles those induced by lithium.”
C. Also, the National Cancer Institute announced in a study that, “patients who ingested a marijuana plant extract spray reported more restful sleep.”
(Transition: Now onto the biggest reason why it should be legal)
VI. Marijuana is used to ease a lot of medical illnesses.
A. 20 states have it as a prescription to cure…