Essay on Sickle Cell Anemia

Submitted By ElijahPressley
Words: 416
Pages: 2

Sickle cell anemia is an inherited disease. People with this disease inherit two genes for sickle hemoglobin- one from each parent. This disease causes red blood cells, which are suppose to look like doughnuts, have a sickle or crescent shape to them. Sickle cells are stiff and sticky. These cells tend to block the blood flow in the blood vessels of the limbs and organs. This can cause pain and organ damage. Plus it can also raise the risk for infection. A good way to handle this is to adopt a healthy diet. A healthy diet can help with this disease. Eating things such as fruits, vegetables, seeds, seafood and other things such as that will help with your diet. But overall the chances of someone getting this disease are very thin. In the information I read it said that when both parents have a normal gene and an abnormal gene, the child has a 25 percent chance of inheriting two normal genes; a 50 percent chance of inheriting one normal gene and one abnormal gene; and a 25 percent chance of inheriting two abnormal genes. Those may be thin odds but you still should take this disease seriously. People have died from this disease just because they think it’s a joke. That’s why if you do have this disease go to the doctor and see what all you can do to treat it. One suggestion is always eat healthy foods. Eating healthy foods has saved many people with this disease lives. That is why I encourage you to eat healthy meals everyday if you have this disease. Even though there is no cure eating those healthy foods