1. What is an acid? Give 3 examples…
1) 2) 3)
2. Provide 4 properties of acids
3. What is a base? Give 3 examples…
1) 2) 3)
4. Is CH3COOH an acid or a base? Check your notes!
5. What is a strong acid/base? And how is it different from a weak acid/base? Give an example of each…
6. What two products are always made when you add an acid and base together in solution?
7. H+ = ________________ = _________________ (what are the two other “expressions” of the idea of a hydrogen ion”
8. List 4 common everyday products/foods that are acidic.
1) 2) 3) 4)
9. List 4 common products/foods that are basic 1) 2) 3) 4)
10. What is acid reflux? And explain why someone would take TUMS to alleviate it?
11. List 4 characteristics of a base
12. If you spilled a highly concentrated base on the counter, what would be the best way to clean it up?
13. Cabbage juice has a chemical called an ________________. Explain what is does when put in acidic and basic solutions, and why we used it in our titration lab.
14. What does pH measure, and what information (formula) do you need to determine the pH of a solution?
15. What is the pH range for acidic solutions? Basic solutions? What is neutral?
16. What is the pH of a 0.0001 M HCl solution?
17. What is pH paper? Why do we use it? Is it a specific measurement of pH?
18. What is the pH of a 0.75 M H2SO4 solution? (remember to balance!)
19. What is the pH of a 0.75 M NaOH solution? (remember pH + pOH = 14)
20. What is the pH of a 1.5 M Ba(OH)2 solution?
**What is the concentration of H+ ions in water? OH- ions? (Check your notes!)
21. What does it mean to reach the “end point” of a titration? And what would the theoretical pH be at the “end point” and why?
22. What is titration? Please write out the steps…