American Sentinel University
United States Health Care vs. the German Health Care
There are many individuals’ that think the German health care system is one of the best in the world. Back in 1883 a man by the name of Otto von Bismarck, created Germany’s health care system; a universal health care system which is the oldest in Europe ("Otto von Bismarck," 2012). When the German health care system was created, it was mandatory for a select few mainly, low-income workers and specific government employees. Gradually the system was expanded to cover the entire German population. Under the German universal health care system 85 % of their population has …show more content…
citizens and decrease the mortality rate that strikes every year.
However, the German health care system is one where all regardless of social class and income shares. Approximate 90 percent of the German population has access to the German health care system through one social insurance and the other 10 percent through private insurance. The German health care system is one that is cost effective for everyone, it is inexpensive and equitable. Coverage is portable. Individual’s are never uninsured in Germany. Furthermore no family goes broke over health care bills. If an individual becomes unemployed, unemployment insurance continues paying their premiums. Low income individual’s premiums are paid by the community. If an individual retires, their pension fund pays. Children remain in the sickness fund with their parents, but the premium is paid by the federal government. The German health care system has been proven to be cost effective even for the illegal immigrants. Germany definition for an illegal migrant foreigner is someone who enters Germany without a valid passport, residence permit or visa; or their visa expires and the individual fails to renew their visa. Once an illegal immigrant enters Germany they have rights to all social services, which have become a subject of debate in Germany (Underwood, 2009).
Nevertheless, the U.S. health care system is one that is divided and should not be imitated at this time. The