1. The Human Genome Project
3. Identification of Mutations
4. Diagnosis of Affected Carriers
5. Gene Therapy
7. Forensic Science
8. Evolutionary Relationship
1. Disease could be prevented by detecting people/plants/animals that are genetically prone to certain hereditary diseases, and preparing for the inevitable. Also, infectious diseases can be treated by implanting genes that code for antiviral proteins specific to each antigen.
2. Another of genetic engineering is that diseases could be prevented by detecting people that are genetically prone to certain hereditary diseases, and preparing for the inevitable. As well as preventing disease, with genetic engineering infectious diseases can be treated by implanting genes that code for antiviral proteins specific to each antigen
3. Animals and plants can be 'tailor made' to show desirable characteristics. Genes could also be manipulated in trees for example, to absorb more CO2 and reduce the threat of global warming. 4. Genetic Engineering could increase genetic diversity, and produce more variant alleles which could also be crossed over and implanted into other species. It is possible to alter the genetics of wheat plants to grow insulin for example.
5. Another advantage of genetic engineering is that animals and plants can be made to have desirable characteristics which could help solve some of the world's problems. For example in trees, genes could be manipulated to absorb more carbon dioxide. This would help reduce global warming, and thus solve one of the biggest problems earth faces. disadvantages. 1. Nature is an extremely complex interrelated chain consisting of many species linked in the food chain. Some scientists believe that introducing genetically modified genes may have an irreversible effect with consequences yet unknown.
2. Genetic engineering borderlines on many moral issues, particularly involving religion, which questions whether man has the right to manipulate the laws and course of nature.
3. Another reason why people think that using genetically modified crops and plants is a disadvantage is that they think it will increase our reliance on pesticides, which have a harmful effect on the environment.
4. Another disadvantage of Genetic Engineering is Genetic engineering borderlines on many moral issues, particularly involving religion, which questions whether man has the right to manipulate the laws and course of nature.
Technique of Genetic Engineering
Use of restriction enzymes to cut DNA at specific base sequences
Selective Breeding creating new breeds of animals and plants to improve our food
Artificial Breeding allowing animals with certain traits to breed and produce desired traits
Advantages is that we can make the best things
We benefit by getting nutrients and vitamins that we may not get otherwise Gel Electrophoresis
1. Paternity Testing
3. Evolutionary Relationships
4. Crime Scene testing
1. sorts DNA molecules by size and then scientists compare DNA sequences of different individuals based on size of fragments
combining genes from two different sources
Used in genetic engineering…