2. Grade Level : First Grade
3. Learning Objectives:
Given a sample timeline, students will create a timeline of at least 5 big events in their lives with 100% accuracy.
Given a sample timeline, students will place all events on their timeline in correct chronological order 100% of the time.
4. Common Core State Standards Addressed:
SS.1.A.3.In.b: Sequence three events in a student’s life using photographs or pictures on a timeline.
SS.1.A.3.2: Create a timeline based on the student's life or school events, using primary sources.
5. Required Equipment & Materials:
Pencils, crayons or markers
Plain paper or poster boards Teacher-made sample of a timeline
Pictures brought from home of specific events.
6. Teaching Method(s) with Step-By-Step Procedures:
1. Show students sample timeline.
2. Ask students to think about some important events in their lives might be.
3. Pass out paper to students and have writing utensils accessible.
4. Allow students to work freely and individually.
5. As people finish their timelines, they can decorate it as they wish as long as timeline is still legible.
6. After everyone has finished, ask students to stand and share one important event on their timelines and why that event was special to them.
7. Adaptations for Second Language Learners: For students that are second language learners pictures can be used to explain or the teacher’s aide may assist them with the timeline.
8. Accommodations for Exceptional Learners: For students that are exceptional learners they might be asked to do six