1. List the four major functions of an operating system. Provides a user interface, manages files, manages hardware, and manages applications.
2. Which file systems does windows 7 support? It supports NTFS (New Technology file systems)
3. Define the root directory of a logical drive. The main directory, at the top of the top-down hierarchical structure of subdirectories, created when a hard drive or disk is first formatted. In Linux, it’s indicated by a forward slash. In DOS and Windows, it’s indicated by a backward
4. What are the functions of a Kernel and a shell? The Kernel interacts with hardware devices, such as passing a print request to a print device. The shell exposes functions to users and applications, like graphical buttons and command prompts.
5. What are the memory limitations for a 32-bit operating system? The memory limitations are 4GB
6. Windows 7 uses libraries. What are they and how can you access them? Libraries are a collection of one or more folders that can be stored in different local drives or on the network. Libraries are a convenient way to access several folders in different locations from one central location and can be accessed from the start menu.
7. Why is ACPI so important to computers today? It is important because it is used to configure different levels of power saving functions or states.
8. What part of the file name does Windows use to determine which application to use to open file? The file extension
9. What extension is used to name a compressed folder in window? Is it really a file folder? The .zip fill extension is used to name a compressed folder, and yes it is really a folder but contains a compressed version of the file inside of it.
10. How do you access the System Window in Windows 7? Give three examples of what information it displays. Click start right click computer and click properties. How much memory is installed, what type of OS is installed, and what kind of service pack is installed.
11. What is the name for software that is designed to interact with specific hardware? An operating system (OS).
12. Which Windows operating system component interacts directly with the hardware? Device drivers.