Luxembourg Project Essay

Submitted By 3gether5ever
Words: 673
Pages: 3

Luxembourg Luxembourg is a small country in Western Europe that is landlocked by Belgium, Germany, and France. It is such a small country that it is almost considered a principality like countries such as Monaco or Liechtenstein. The capital of Luxembourg is Luxembourg, which is really difficult to remember. Luxembourg has its own language, Luxembourgish, but French and German are also official languages. The entirety of Luxembourg is only 998.6 square miles large, only about 51 miles long and 35 miles wide. Although a secular state, Luxembourg is predominantly Roman Catholic. Since 1980 it has been illegal for the government to collect statistics on religious beliefs or practices. 87% of Luxembourgers are Catholic, including the royal family, the remaining 13% being made up of Muslims, Protestants, Orthodox Christians, Jews, and those of other or no religion. The University of Luxembourg is the only university in the country. In addition to the three official languages, English is taught in the compulsory schooling and much of the population of Luxembourg can speak English. Portuguese, the language of the largest immigrant community, is also spoken by large parts of the population, but by relatively few from outside their community. Sports in Luxembourg are not concentrated upon a particular national sport, but encompasses a number of sports, both team and individual. Cycling is the sport in which Luxembourg has had most success at a professional level, and is one of the main participatory sports amongst the general population. The country's flat terrain lends itself to the sport, with the Tour de Luxembourg being run around the country on an annual basis as a prelude to the Tour de France. Tennis is a popular sport, as it is across western Europe. There are 53 tennis clubs in the country. Football is the most popular sport in Luxembourg. The top-flight National Division is the premier domestic sports league in the country. Luxembourg was amongst the first countries in the world to be introduced to football. Luxembourg has many delicacies: French pâtisseries, cake and fruit pies, local pastries include the Bretzel, a Lent specialty; Quetscheflued, a tart; and Verwurelter, small sugar-coated doughnuts. Wine, mostly dry white wine is produced in Luxembourg, which has a winemaking history dating back to the Romans. Luxembourg's stable and high-income market economy features moderate growth and low inflatio Unemployment is traditionally low, although it had risen to 6.1% by May 2012, due largely to the effect of the 2008 global financial crisis. The population of Luxembourg is about 589,680 people, very few compared to crowded countries