Fall 2013 – SCM 4301
Due Date: October 25, 2013 by 5 pm.
Max points: 9 points (It is a Team assignment)
Objective: Try to develop a delivery route which minimizes the number of delivery trucks needed (and to a lesser extent the distances traveled) for two situations: (1) assuming that there are no delivery windows – i.e. customers will take a delivery anytime from 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, and (2) using time windows. Assume that this represents a single day of deliveries, that all customers must be served within their windows, that all trucks must complete their route and return to the DC by 5:00 PM. Note, the routes can operate between 9:00 AM and 5:00
PM, drivers are briefed on their routes from 8:30 – 9:00 AM and checked in on return at 5:00 PM.
1) The purpose of the assignment is to show the complexity in vehicle routing. This particular instance of the problem is not very difficult, but it is time consuming (especially with time windows).
2) Try to get the least number of routes, think logically and add customers to the route.
3) The excel sheets are pre-coded; only enter the details in route sheet. Don’t alter any values in other sheets.
4) They are several versions of this assignment (even though they look very similar). Don’t try to copy or plagiarize. Just try to solve and have fun.
1) Final excel sheet emailed to email@example.com
2) A printout (1 slide per page) of power point presentation with the following slides to be submitted in
Melcher Hall 260E.
a. Slide 1: Version