9 Plant-Based Proteins:
Almonds are a nutrient and protein-rich source of the protein you need. Chop them, grind them, or eat them whole. Try our Almond Blast Slow Cooker Oatmeal.
Wild Rice has a higher protein content than most grains with 6.5 grams of protein per cup.
Dark Leafy Greens
Dark leafy greens are not only high in beta-carotene, vitamins, and fibers, but they’re excellent sources of protein, too. Our Spinach and Quinoa Salad is delicious!
Sprouts contain the highest quantity of nutrients per calorie of any food. And, with over 35% protein, sprouts can be a fabulous addition to a plant-based diet. Learn more about sprouts here.
Spirulina is not only rich in protein, it’s a superfood! Learn more here.
Quinoa has been called the “superfood of the future” for a reason. It’s high in nutrients and contains 14% protein by mass. Try these delicious Quinoa Protein Bars. Learn how cook quinoa to perfection here.
One of the best ways for plant-based dieters to get their recommended dosage of protein is through beans. Not only are they versatile, there are many varieties to choose from, and they are rich in protein. Learn more about the health benefits of beans here.
Avocados are rich in protein, with 6.5 grams per fruit. They’re also high in health fats, and they taste great, too! Try our yummy Avocado Dip.
Chi-chi-chi-chia! Chia seeds are 23% complete protein, and they’re so easy to use to.
Simple Meatless Lasagna
Ingredients: Serves 8 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, | 10 oz packages chopped frozen spinach, | 1⁄2 onion, chopped | 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano, | 1⁄2 tsp dried basil, | 2 clove garlic, crushed | 32 oz jar spaghetti sauce, | 1 1⁄2 cup water, | 2 cup non-fat cottage cheese, | 8 oz package part skim milk mozzarella cheese, shredded | 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated | 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped | 1 tsp salt, | 1⁄8 tsp black pepper, | 1 egg, | 8 oz lasagna noodles, |
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 2. In a large pot over medium heat saute spinach, onion, oregano, basil and garlic in the olive oil. Pour in spaghetti sauce and water; simmer 20 minutes. In a large bowl mix cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, pepper and egg. 3. Place a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a lasagna pan. Place 4 uncooked noodles on top of sauce and top with layer of sauce. Add 4 more noodles and layer with 1/2 sauce and 1/2 cheese mixture, noodles and repeat until all is layered, finishing with sauce. 4. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 55 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Greek Style Pizza
* 1 (12-inch) prepared pizza crust * 1/2 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce * 1/2 cup chopped bottled roasted yellow bell peppers * 2 1/2 ounces crumbled goat cheese * 1 1/4 cups baby spinach leaves *
1. Heat oven to 450º. Place pizza crust on a baking sheet. Spread pizza or spaghetti sauce over crust; top with roasted yellow peppers, crumbled goat cheese, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
2. Bake 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle spinach leaves evenly over the top of the hot pizza and cut into 8 equal slices.
Frittata with Ricotta and Mixed Greens
* 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided * 1 medium red onion, finely diced * Pinch of red pepper flakes * 1 pound chopped mixed greens (such as kale, Swiss chard, or mustard greens) * 10 large eggs * 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese * 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided * 1/2 plus 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided * 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar * 8 ounces part-skim ricotta * 1 cup fresh basil leaves * 3/4 cup fresh parsley…