2. The author is Cynthia Kadohata.
3. Kira-Kira received the Newbery Award in 2005.
4. The story mostly takes place in Georgia in the late 1950’s.
5. The main characters are Katie and Lynn. Katie is the little sister of the family and loves her sister very much. Lynn is the oldest one of the family. She helps her sister with homework and is super nice to her family.
6. Katie and her family move from a Japanese community in Iowa to the Deep South of Georgia in the 1950s. Her parents face terrible jobs and long hours of work at the hatchery and poultry plant. Katie really loves her big sister, Lynn. She teaches Katie mostly everything she knows from how the sky, ocean, and people's eyes are special to prejudice. The two girls dream of buying a new house. To make it come true, they saved up their money. When they had one hundred dollars, they gave it to their parents and bought a new house. They were so thrilled. Everything was perfect until Lynn becomes very ill. She has Lymphoma disease. Katie's family begins to fall apart and now it's up to her to make them the way it was. She did by reminding them that there is something out there in the future and by doing