• prolonged and excessive intake of alcoholic drinks leading to a breakdown in health and an addiction to alcohol such that abrupt deprivation leads to severe withdrawal symptoms
• The term "alcoholism" was first used in 1849 by the Swedish physician Magnus Huss to describe the systematic adverse effects of alcohol
WHAT ARE SOME CAUSES OF ALCOHOLISM?
Drinking steadily and consistently over time can produce dependence and cause withdrawal symptoms during periods of abstinence. This physical dependence, however, is not the sole cause of alcoholism. To develop alcoholism, other factors usually come into play, including biology, genetics, culture, and psychology.
✓ Frustration and anger
✓ Social pressure ✓ Internal temptation
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
The main symptom of alcohol abuse occurs when someone continues to drink after their drinking reaches a level that causes recurrent problems. Continuing to drink after it causes someone to miss work, drive drunk, shirk responsibilities or get in trouble with the law is considered alcohol abuse.
✓ neglect of other activities ✓ large amounts of time spent in alcohol- related activities ✓ impaired control of alcohol consumption ✓ persistence of alcohol use ✓ withdrawal symptoms and tolerance of alcohol.
SOME EARLY SIGNS OF ALCOHOLISM
1. ...make excuses to drink - good news, bad news, indifferent news-anything is a reason to drink.
2. ...hide drink around the house. Anywhere that can be used to conceal alcohol is used. The reason being that the drink addict wants to be able to access drink whenever and wherever he/she wants.
3. ...only attend events where it is…