A) Kay Bailey Hutchinson.
B) Susan B. Anthony.
C) Nancy Pelosi.
D) Shirley Chisholm.
E) Diane Feinstein.
2) The current Speaker of the House is the first
A) Republican speaker in nearly fifty years.
B) Democratic speaker in nearly fifty years.
C) Latino speaker.
D) woman speaker.
E) African-American speaker. 3) The structure of the legislative branch of government is described by ________ of the Constitution. A) Article I B) Article II C) Article III D) Article IV E) Article V
4) The U.S. Congress
A) is unicameral.
B) is nonpartisan.
C) allocates all members of Congress based on a state's population.
D) is bicameral.
E) is a plurality rule institution. 5) Article I establishes the basic structure of
A) congressional committees and subcommittees.
B) the bureaucracy.
D) the political parties.
E) the Electoral College.
6) ________ legislature has two houses.
A) A polarized
B) A bilateral
C) A parliamentary
D) The U.S.
E) A unicameral
7) The Framers of the Constitution primarily were concerned that members of Congress
A) make laws.
B) promote economic development.
C) represent their constituents.
D) complete casework.
E) perform constituency service. 8) Senators are elected for ________-year terms.
A) six B) seven C) eight D) four E) two
9) Apportionment and redistricting typically occur every
A) four years. B) 20 years. C) 10 years. D) two years. E) six years.
10) Which of the following moved to a state specifically to run for office?
I. Hillary Rodham Clinton.
II. Barack Obama.
III. Robert Kennedy, Jr.
IV. Alan Keyes.
A) II, III, and IV
B) I, III, and IV
C) I, II, and III
D) I and III
E) II and IV
11) State legislatures lost their control over the selection of senators when the ________ Amendment was ratified in 1913.
E) Twenty-Third 12) The Senate was originally chosen by state legislators. This was changed to direct election in 1913 with the passage of the ________ Amendment.
A) Nineteenth B) Seventeenth C) Eighteenth D) Eleventh E) Twentieth 13) There are ________ members of the U.S. House of Representatives with full voting privileges.
A) 435 B) 100 C) 515 D) 485 E) 535
14) Members of the House of Representatives must
A) have lived in the United States for at least nine years.
B) have at least a high school education.
C) be at least twenty-five years old.
D) pass a religious test.
E) all of the above
15) Members of the Senate must
A) have at least a high school education.
B) pass a religious test.
C) have lived in the United States for at least seven years.
D) be at least thirty years old.
E) all of the above
16) Members of the House are elected for ________-year terms. A) six B) four C) eight D) seven E) two
17) Who of the following moved to a state specifically to run for office?
A) John McCain.
B) Mitt Romney.
C) Barack Obama.
D) John Edwards.
E) Hillary Rodham Clinton. 18) Every ________ years, ________ of the Senate is up for re-election.
E) six/three-quarters 19) The enumerated powers of Congress are set out in the Constitution's
A) Article II, section 4.
C) Article I, section 1.
D) Article I, section 8.
E) Article III, section 2.
20) According to Article I, section 8 of the Constitution, Congress has the power to
A) pass ex post facto laws.
B) revoke natural laws.
C) impeach state governors.
D) lay and collect taxes.
E) All of the above.
21) The Seventeenth Amendment
A) establishes an income tax.
B) limits the president to two consecutive terms.
C) limits congressional salaries.
D) limits the sale or importation of alcoholic…