Effect Of Social Media On Police Investigation

Words: 351
Pages: 2

As people turn social media to alert each other about crimes, the amount of false information in cyberland also grows.
Statistics point to approximately 10% of social media crime information as factually based. The other 90% results in over-reporting that puts a community in an unnecessary state of uneasiness.
These social media rumors can and do hindering police investigations as well.
Police have growingly embraced social media as one of the tools for investigation. The down side of gleaning some tips is they waste valuable hours chasing down the many false rumours and non-factual posts.
There is also a very real danger that posting or tweeting police activity during an active investigation can put police officers into jeopardy or hinder