Energy: Incandescent Light Bulbs Essay

Submitted By Liuyangleona1
Words: 905
Pages: 4

Introduction
Did you know that 25% of the average home’s energy bucket is spent on lighting while the incandescent light bulb convert more than 95% of that energy into heat rather than light. Incandescent light bulbs use electricity to heat up a tungsten filament to create light. So why do we continue to use something so inefficient? Fortunately, the are more eco-friendly alternatives like the CFL and LED bulbs.
The smart meter was first introduced in 2005 and by 2007 over 800,000 installed. The goal of the smart meter is to raise awareness about the cost of electricity and to reduce the amount of energy used when the price is high.
c
Most Current TOU prices
Highest Price (On-Peak)
11.8 cents/kWh
Mid Price (Mid-Peak)
9.9 cents/kWh
Lowest Price (Off-Peak)
6.3 cents/kWh

What is LED
LED is a "Light Emitting Diode”; semiconductor that fits in an electronic circuit and carries electricity currents in one direction.
How LED works
What is CFL
CFL or the compact florescent lamp is energy saving light. It consists of a gas filled glass tube with two eletrodes mounted at the ends. It is usually filled with a low-pressure mix of argon gas and mercury vapor.
How CFL works
Winter Rates
(November 1 - April 30)The winter gives us two peak periods. This is because our days are shorter and in the morning when most people get up, lights and appliances are turned on and heating systems are turned up. The pattern repeats later in the day around the dinner hour. |
|
Summer Rates
(May 1 - October 31)In the summer, we traditionally have just one peak period in the middle of the day between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. This is mainly due to air conditioning use during the hottest hours of the day.For more detailed information on current TOU pricing, visit the Ontario Energy Board.To learn more about smart meters and TOU rates visitSmart Meters Ontario or the Independent Electricity System Operator. |

Weekends and Holidays
(All year)Demand, and electricity prices are lower on weekends and holidays - as well as overnight.2013 Holiday Schedule |
Incandescent

The incandescent light bulb is the oldest lighting system. It uses electricity to heat up a tungsten filament to create light and heat. The incandescent light bulb is the most familiar to most people and the most inexpensive light bulb. They can also be used with a dimmer switch. Also the incandescent light bulb can be easily disposed of by throwing it into the garbage bin.
Although the incandescent light bulb has its pro, it has more cons. The average life span of the incandescent light bulb is around 1,000 hours. The continuous heating of the filament leads to a gradual erosion and will eventually snap when it gets too thin. The main reason that the incandescent light bulb is getting taken out of the market is because of its inefficacy. Of all the electricity that this bulb uses, only around 5% of it is getting converted into light. The other 95% gets turned into heat. The incandescent light bulb can heat up a room very quickly. That extra would not be needed especially in the summer. If not handled properly, the high temperature has a high chance of causing burns.
One hour or electricity can cause 1.34 pounds of CO2 emission and one 40-watt incandescent light bulb can cause 196 pounds of CO2 emission per year!

LED…