2. Humans communicate in many ways, both verbally and non-verbally. Select any paralinguistic method of communication, define it, and explain how it functions in the ability of humans to communicate. Language, what is language but just a series of vocal sounds or written symbols meant to be interpreted into a form of communication. Humans have been able to grow an advantage towards other animals, due to this unique form of communication. A type mutation different from any other species, allowing humans to evolve and become smarter creatures. Through the spoken version of language one can share emotions, experiences, and thoughts with fellow humans.
Thru the written form of language we can share the same emotions, experiences, and thoughts by making symbols to form a visual image in a humans mind. The written language is what I most am fascinated with, due to its complicated nature.
Written version of language is a very important tool. Writing can be morphed into becoming a learning tool, a data saving tool, and communication tool. Thru books people input their feeling, thoughts, and imagination in so people could interpret them and feel what a book has to offer. Scientific journals share research that fellow scientist can interpret and see if the experimentation is correct. Even right now as I’m writing this short essay I am inputting symbols on to a sheet of paper that may or may not be the result of me receiving a good grade. Over all what I am trying to say is, without writing we wouldn’t be where we are today.
3. What is the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis? Define it, explain it, and discuss whether or not it actually has reality in way humans use and interact with their languages.
The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis is the belief that languages where created on different ways of thinking, rather than languages being a decent from another primary language. I believe this hypothesis is true to a certain level, our English language is a mixture from Germanic and Latin, and so we can track a history from it, proving the Hypothesis wrong. The United States English is different from any other English around the world and varies from culture to culture. Making our form of English a type of dialect. This English dialect isn’t a decent from any other language, it was thought up, proving the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis correct.
5. What are the major differences in the Brazilian and United States systems of racial classification?
The United States classifies race by their decent, therefore being born in the United States does not make you Caucasian. Making the United States classify races by biological means. Here in the United States if a person where born from a Hispanic family it will make the person Hispanic, same goes for any other race if a person were born from an African-American family it will make the person African-American.
In Brazil they classify there people by their physical traits, if a person’s skin tone or the way they dress changes, they are classified into a different racial group. This makes Brazil more flexible than most other countries. If a person where to go to Brazil with white skin they would be put into a claro type race, but as time goes by they might get a tan putting them into a different category of race.
7. What is the difference between a culture and an ethnic group? Give an example. An Ethic group are people who all common due to their ancestors all coming from the same geographical area. United by language and cultural traditions. People which have their own culture in ethnic group are considered exactly that an ethic group. When in culture has more of a wide span of people claim everyone in a society. For example the United States as a whole would be classified as a culture.
9. Differentiate between horticulture and agriculture. Give ethnographic examples of both types of food getting.
Horticulture is a type of cultivation that uses simple tools like hoes and digging sticks to grow crops.…