The book Steps to Christ discusses our relationship with God. The author Ellen White describes thirteen steps we must take to enable us to have a loving and committed relationship with our Heavenly Father. In this essay I discuss each of the thirteen steps.
In Steps to Christ, Ellen White discusses our relationship goals with Christ. The metaphor of the “steps to Christ” in the title can be understood as the steps in our relationship with Christ, which is equivalent to the rungs of a ladder. The author begins with God’s love for man, our need for Christ as sinners, repentance, confession, consecration, faith and acceptance, test of discipleship, growing up in Christ, the work and the life, a knowledge of God, the …show more content…
1. Step one is to view the intensity of God’s immeasurable love for each of us, for you, in the light of Jesus’ life and death.
2. Step two is to realize that we have no power within on which to depend. Our hope is in Jesus, to Whom we can look and live, because only by beholding do we become changed.
3. Step three is to see sin in its truly offensive, separating nature, to recognize our own sinfulness in comparison with Jesus’, and to desire reconciliation with Him.
4. Step four involves confession both to God and to those we’ve wronged, making restitution, accepting Jesus’ forgiveness, and letting Him work His cleansing miracle in our lives.
5. The fifth step, consecration, means complete submission, complete trust in God, which brings a peace the world cannot offer—it brings oneness with God.
6. Step six is to know that God will fulfill His promises to you. Accept them as truth in spite of how you feel, and act on that belief.
7. Step seven bears evidence of a repentant, forgiven, and consecrated heart of faith in complete, loving submission to His Spirit as He imparts to us the fruits of the Spirit.
8. Step eight is beholding Christ daily, constantly observing His love for us, so that we mature into His character from babe, to disciple, to worker for Him.
9. In step nine, your blessed will influence will cause others to want to know Him.
10. Step ten involves getting into God’s Word, the bio of His character, every day.